Many admire the courage of Senator Ted Cruz, who, unlike his Republican cohorts, did not agree to bend the knee or bow the head before a triumphant Donald Trump. But did you know that the non-endorsement speech that Ted Cruz gave at the Republican National Convention on July 20, 2016, contained a Libertarian subtext? Here are the top ten libertarian quotes from Ted Cruz’s speech:
1. Freedom matters.
2. We the people constrain government.
3. On education, your freedom to choose your child’s education, even if you aren’t as rich as Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama
4. On healthcare, your freedom to choose your own doctor, without Obamacare.
5. On taxes, your freedom to provide for your family without the IRS beating down your door.
6. Freedom means free speech, not politically correct safe spaces.
7. Freedom means religious freedom, whether you are Christian or Jew, Muslim or atheist. Gay or straight, the Bill of Rights protects the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience.
8. Freedom means the right to keep and bear arms, and protect your family.
9. And freedom means recognizing that our Constitution allows states to choose policies that reflect local values. Colorado may decide something different than Texas. New York different than Iowa. Diversity. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. If not, what’s the point of having states, to begin with?
10. Stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution.
These are all Libertarian positions. The last one — that we should vote our conscience — is practically the Libertarian motto. Libertarians have always put conscience first — even when it seemed that we could never win.
By telling his supporters to vote their conscience, Ted Cruz all but endorsed the Libertarian candidate for the presidency, Gary Johnson. Who else is currently running for president who upholds these values? And this time, if all of us vote our conscience, then there is a chance for America to win!